The Oscar nominations were announced today and as I scrolled through the list I have to admit this:
it took a LONG time before I got to one I’d seen.
Fortunately, I made it to “Achievement in sound editing” category, where I spotted the resounding critical success, Transformers listed. Phew. This was starting to get embarrassing.
Seems like since we moved back from London, I haven’t seen hardly any films at all. I don’t know why. Could be the distractions of a new house, or working a “real” job again, or the all-too-easy access to the movie theatre that lulls me into a false sense of forever-films. But week after week films have come and gone, and it seems I haven’t gotten the time to go.
Or maybe it’s something else.
I scanned the list of the nominees and realized something. Have a look with me. Here’s my OWN 2007 Oscar Nominations List, based on actual nominations. See if you can guess the film or talent that goes with each.
1. Best Animated Feature Featuring the Only Animal Left In the Animal Kingdom That Hasn’t been Disney-Pixarized yet, Swimming in your Food, Most Commonly known as a Sewer-Dwelling, Disease-Carrying Rodent
2. Best Performance in a Supporting Role by An Actress that Everyone thinks is Cate Blanchett, at First, But realizes it Isn’t and Has No Idea Who It Is When They Hear Her Name.
3. Best Performance by An Actor Wearing Ugly Glasses who, if He Were a Woman, Would Never Ever Get as Many Juicy Roles as He Does
4. Best Picture for a Film featuring Tommy Lee Jones as an Old Man, FINALLY!
5. Best Performance by the Actress who is Going to Make Pregnancy All the Rage at High Schools this Year.
6. Best Screenplay, Picture, Actor, For Another Excuse to Cutaway to George Clooney Every Other Shot During Oscars.
7. Best Picture for the “Daniel-Day Lewis Picked My Film To Star In!” Lottery Winner.
Well, that’s all I got for now, but sheesh, there are so many more. I feel a bit jaded, but maybe that’s just me, mourning the fact that, in the few hours I got to sit down and watch a flick this summer, Colin said “I hear this is really good!” and put in the DVD.
The hours with Megatron, I will never get back.