50 Things That Make Me Feel Normal

I had a few of those days when I felt a little bit out of kilter. When I was driving from yoga on Saturday, I started making this list in my head. It’s not in any order and it’s not complete.

1. Ira Glass
2. Walking
3. Typing on a Typewriter
4. Hot Shower
5. Yoga
6. Driving a manual transmission with no one else in the car
7. Singing out loud.
8. Cut and gluing.
9. Weeding
10. Playing in the snow
11. Floating on water.
12. Folding laundry
13. Headphones, loud music.
14. Crayola on scratch paper.
15. Blue jeans.
16. Unsweetened, brewed iced tea. (Not sun tea).
17. JD
18. My Mom
19. Time at Rainbow Drive
20. Frances
21. Laying on the family room floor with small people pouncing on me.
22. Roadtripping, with Colin driving.
23. Carrying my golf bag down the fairway
24. Wine and books and discussion, combined.
25. Stairs
45. Incandescent light bulbs
46. Going out on the weekends
47. Manual pencil sharpener
48. Shoveling.
49. Thunderstorms
50. Sex

What makes you feel “normal”? What is normal anyway?

18 comments for “50 Things That Make Me Feel Normal

1. Karin
    January 30, 2011 at 6:46 pm

whew! I didn’t make the list. Great! That means that you feel extraordinary with me, NOT normal. Yay!

2. January 30, 2011 at 7:04 pm

You did, Karin… see # 24!

3. January 31, 2011 at 8:49 am

I love this! So much!

4. January 31, 2011 at 9:00 am

What a list. I need to work on this, then make it a ‘page’ on my blog. I like this idea.

1. Reading
    2. Writing with a fountain pen
    3. ….to be continued….

5. January 31, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I laughed when I saw #3. I actually sat down at an old manual typewriter recently and had this ridiculous smile on my face as I typed out some nonsense….

• January 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Brad, I LOVE the feel of typing on a manual. And don’t even get me started on the sound!

6. marty
    January 31, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Opening one of my Dr Seuss books; and reading like it is the first time.
    Wooden clothes pins/wet laundry on a clothesline/middle of summer.
    Painting my toenails “Summer Purple”.
    Ditto talking on the phone with sisters, brother, mother and friends.
    Receiving snail mail; personal postcards, small boxes and letters!
    Dusting off my grade school/high school yearbooks and smiling at our hair.
    Playing with the wedding ring on my finger in a ray of sunlight.
    Sitting outside in the sun, reading with a radio on nearby.
    Rubbing the belly of either of our cats.
    Holding John’s hand.

7. Stacy Kearney
    February 2, 2011 at 9:17 am

1) Sitting at the Roasterie working on my homework
    2) Wandering the stacks at the Plaza Branch library
    3) Snuggling with the dog
    4) Bedtime Story time with Hannah
    5) Cooking and Baking. Alone. With NPR or Classic Alternative on Time Warner blasting through the house.
    6) Swaying on the porch swing, romance novel in hand, Diet Coke nearby
    7) Watching NCIS and Greek – no one else wants to watch those shows and it guarantees alone time
    8) Folding laundry – specifically matching up the socks
    9) Sitting on the couch, watching a movie with Bryan
    10) Wandering through a new or different city with Bryan
    11) Listening to music no one else wants to listen to – specifically the soundtrack from the Tapestry of Nations parade in Disney World
    12) Laying in bed before going to sleep, praying in thanks for the day just experienced.
    13) Adventures with Hannah
    14) Eating a Minsky’s Buffalo Chicken Calzone
    15) Staring out the window during trips that require highway travel
    16) Catching up face-to-face with friends

8. Mariann Vandenberg
    February 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

A homemade bacon and tomato sandwich with a warm, fresh-picked tomato from our garden. Hot summer Kansas please come soon!

Making raspberry jam from the berries in the backyard.

Cleaning bathrooms.

I am sure there are more, but my memory is getting short and the description of “normal” changes daily!

9. February 2, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I love this idea. I’m going to take some time to think, then create a list on my page. Thank you for sharing your list…it’s lovely!

10. February 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

For some reason, the links in my post didn’t make it here….

I done did it. I hope you enjoy it.

11. Marsha
    February 3, 2011 at 8:32 am

A wonderfully soothing list. One of my 50 things would be reading what intelligent people write.

• February 3, 2011 at 9:35 am

Thanks Marsha. What a sweet thing to hear!