Guest Post by Amanda Quraishi
As an Official American Citizen, here’s what I want:
1. I’d want to see the respect employed among opposing parties in our national political discourse.
2. I want American Tax Dollars invested back into AMERICA so that We The People, and our children can benefit from a strong, modern infrastructure.
3. I want to see more people volunteering in their local communities.
4. I want to be able to give my children whatever resources they need to compete locally, nationally, and globally.
5. I want to know that the people we elect to public office are listening to The People they represent. Not just the highest bidders.
6. I want to believe that We are still a Great Nation.
7. I want to know that Hard Work still means something in America, and that there are still some places that being born into privilege can’t get you.
8. I want to be The Destination for the best and brightest people around the world to come, live, and make a life here.
9. I want to see a revival of small businesses, community-based farming, and home-based industries.
10. I want to be a part of the process—social, political, and spiritual–of making America better than ever.
AMANDA QURAISHI is a writer, blogger, interfaith activist and technology professional living in Austin, Texas. She currently works full time as the Web & Database Administrator for Mobile Loaves & Fishes, a non-profit organization that addresses the issue of homelessness in the U.S.
Amanda’s thoughts are part of the BIG QUESTION Series for September: “What does America Want?”